Friday, October 10, 2008

One does want a hint of color!


Don't you just love the golden glow of sunset at this time of year?


These are some volunteer maple trees that are growing in a hanging basket that I didn't bother to plant anything in this year. They're about six inches tall. I guess I never thought about baby trees turning color, for some reason. They're gorgeous in their own right, but here that golden glow is helping them out. I might start planting maple trees in all of my outdoor planting pots.

This year's asters in that golden glow as well. I picked a bunch to bring in the house.

Can you believe we haven't had a killing frost yet? My tomatoes are still ripening on the vine. In the twenty years I've been gardening on my own, I don't remember ever having all the tomatoes ripen. I don't remember that ever happening in Dad's garden either, for that matter. There isn't a green tomato in sight out in the garden. I haven't even covered them yet. Amazing.

I also have one plant loaded with jalapenos. Any suggestions?

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I love how nature takes things over, don't you? Except, of course, when I don't want it to;-)
I love the asters. Can't grow, but I love 'em. How's about salsa?

Anonymous said...

Chili. Soups. Asian cooking. Venison. Mix the jalapenos up with apples & make a spicy jelly. Jalapenos + pork + tomatoes = spicy Italian: lasagna, spaghetti sauce... Hot tamale pie. Stuffed jalapenos (with cheese, then bake). Or dip in batter and deep fry. Dry them. String them up fresh, let them dry and turn red for Christmas color. Swap them for something else. Jalapeno tea on a cold day...? Enjoy! (Don't let Mom play with the seeds, though. The burn on the skin lingers.)

LostInColor said...

The colors are wonderful! Volunteer maple trees in a hanging basket, how neat.

Robin said...

Fabulous photos!!!

cornbread hell said...

i'm jealous. our leaves don't change colors much. they just fall off...
jalapeno poppers! remove seeds, stuff with cream cheese and your choice of shrimp, pork, etc. wrap in bacon. grill. (not bake...)
yum.

Annie said...

I went out to pick the jalapenos and what was left of the tomatoes this morning. Every last one of the jalapenos was gone. There were just little stubs of the plant left. All (there were only a few) of the tomatoes had bites out of them. I hope whatever animal ate them has a belly ache today! Grrrr!

cornbread hell said...

damn! don't you just hate nature?

hahahahaha.

i can hardly wait to hear what ate the jalapenos. i sure hope it wasn't mom...