Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cecropia

Have you ever seen a cecropia caterpillar? They are quite pretty.

The picture is from here.

I was inspired to make a yarn of it, of course. This picture taken in the light of the setting sun, so the actual color isn't quite as golden as it appears. It was my first attempt at spinning coils or beehives or whatever these are called. I might have some of each plus some other techniques I don't know the name of, which are complete accidents!



The yarn then became this collar, woven on the peg loom.


The coiled/beehive parts sort of curl above the rest of it, looking rather inchworm like. Maybe I'll have to change the name of it? Or do another leaving out the yellow and blue, and calling that one inchworm. If I were better at adding beads to my spinning, I would just spin the green fiber, then add yellow and blue seed beads to it. That would be even more cecropia caterpillar like.

9 comments:

rilera said...

Very pretty!

Cindy said...

lovely.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Wonderful! I love how you show your inspiration- and then match it so beautifully.

Lilac Haven said...

Love the photo and the yarn. Seeing them brings back happy memories of a project I did in college for my environmental science major. I reared a royal walnut moth ( whose larval stage is a Hickory Horn Devil) from egg, larva, pupa to adult and then released it. They are little eating powerhouses as larva and beautiful as adults .

M said...

wow that brings back memories of when i was little...we would pick those off the tomatoe plants ....& play with them.... =) i love that yarn too !~

Ann Martin said...

Oh how pretty your yarn is in the sunlight! And the bumps really do make me think of beads.

Lily said...

I'm trying to love the yarn but since you've linked it to the caterpillar, the sight of hundreds of the little wrigglers wrapped round someone's neck just makes me shudder! There has to be one, doesn't there, lol.

Annie said...

Lily, it probably wouldn't help if I told you the caterpillar is about the size of your little finger, would it?

Lily said...

Aaaargh! Definitely not! I'm going to have nightmares now, lol.