Friday, November 5, 2010

Pottery Class

My first wheel-thrown pottery piece. A plate. That fancy edge? An attempt to cover a mistake. When I was trimming it, I had it secured on the wheel well enough for me. When the instructor sat at my wheel to show me how to do something, he kicked that wheel much faster. My poor plate went flying. It was mostly ok except for a gouge on the edge. So I just cut gouges all around the edge, and tada, a sprocket plate. There is also a crack in the middle, but it held together. I won't be able to use it to serve food, because the glaze wasn't able to seal it.



This little lopsided bowl is my second piece, my first bowl. Just the right size for ice cream!

One of the other students commented that "Art takes a long time." I had to laugh. I was thinking,wow, look how fast this is, one minute I have a ball of clay and a half hour later I have a bowl. There are additional steps of course, but to me it was way faster than the dyeing/carding/spinning/knitting or weaving I usually do. Once again proving it's all relative!


In other news, the Art Shack is coming on Sunday! Woohoo! The man who is moving it stopped by today to do a dry run and look over the site. He is the one that took it off its foundation, and he said that the building didn't flex one bit. As he bluntly put it, "That building is built like a brick shithouse!" Now, that is exactly what I thought,(maybe not exactly in those terms!) but it felt good to hear it from someone who actually knows about these things and who is an impartial third-party. Yeehaw!

8 comments:

Joyce said...

It IS satisfying making stuff! What a dear little bowl and the blue plate looks very fancy. I have long distance excitement regarding your Art Shack. Fingers crossed for a safe delivery.

Marissa said...

Very nice! I'm a pottery junkie with no talent, so I envy you!!

eyes to see said...

I liked your perspective on 'time spent' on artistic endeavors. Mine is photography and it is the quickest path to artistic expression! Microwave art! I like your sprocket plate! Eager to see the Art Shack photos once it is established!

Rhonda from Baddeck said...

Your Sprocket Plate is so neat! As soon as I saw it, I wondered what tool you used and how you got them so evenly spaced. Beautiful!

tonya said...

Welcome to the world of clay and pottery - it is quite addictive. Enjoy the journey!

Your first pieces are adorable!

CindyCindy said...

Show off. You obviously have the gift!!!!!

Anonymous said...

maple, do you know what happened to cornbread hell? its been a year and nothing...

Northmoon said...

Pretty darn good for a beginning potter. I love the edging on your plate. It reminds me of the lunations around the outside of the labyrinth in Chartes Cathedral.