Wednesday, April 9, 2008

South Austin Walk

One day my friend and I walked around the neighborhood where we were staying. I loved the yard art/cairns that were constructed in many yards.




I love how the three blades of grass stick up over the left eye, looking like a wildly tufted eyebrow.

Maybe I like them so much because it is something Mom would do. Last night, we were eating supper which included mixed vegetables. Mom laughed, and then showed me her plate. There were two peas next to each other, with a kernel of corn balanced on top. A vegetable cairn! I don't think she had made it, but I thought it was funny that she noticed it, laughed, and pointed it out to me.

Two doors down from where we were staying was a pile of interesting rocks, with a sign saying free rocks. Yes, I chose two small ones to bring back with me. Is it any wonder my luggage had the little note saying it had been searched.

The two white rocks in the center are the ones I brought back, the others have been gathered from my fields. I like the mix of Texas and Minnesota.

6 comments:

Miss T said...

Great photos! I can't go anywhere without bringing back rocks, either.

Anonymous said...

Love the rocks - I usually come home with some as well, including quite a few from Lake Superior that now accent my garden. At least I was driving, so I didn't have to pack them ...

Turtle said...

I love the cairns, so funny about your luggage search!

Annie said...

I'm happy to see I'm not the only one lugging home rocks!

MJ said...

One of these days, Annie, when you visit me in Ventura, we'll go down to the edge of the might Pacific and gather some lovely rocks for your collection!

Annie said...

Mary, rocks and beach glass!