Thursday, August 28, 2008

I can't think of a title.



The flower is an Aster. "Alma Patschka" or Patschke or something like that. It doesn't bloom until October or so. This photo (coming soon to a greeting card near you) was taken last year.

Anyway, I got to thinking about this flower. You know what happens then.

I will blend them together slightly on the drum carder. This is the sock (or mitten or hat) yarn blend of alpaca/wool/silk/nylon.

I may make a small tag using the photo that inspired the yarn. Because let's face it, that happens all the time around here. Or maybe offer a set of greeting cards featuring the photo with the yarn. Fiber and photos. It's all in the marketing, right?

I don't want to think about marketing though, I just want to dye stuff. And spin stuff. I'm not a good businesswoman. Not that I let that stop me.

Why does it feel like Friday today?

==================================================

I just went outside to find the gate wide open and Mom nowhere to be found. I was bawling as I ran down the driveway. Once I got past the tree line, I could see Mom walking down the road toward town. Thank God she was still within sight. I hollered and hollered but she would just stop, look back at me, then keep walking. I kept hollering as I ran, and she would at least pause to look at me, so I was able to catch up with her. She didn't object to coming back with me either.

The peace of mind that the gate had brought has been shattered, and I can't stop crying. I don't know if Mom figured out the clip system that I used to shut the gate, or if the roofer who had stopped in earlier (and knows about the importance of shutting/latching the gate) hadn't latched it properly. I just keep thinking about what could have happened.

11 comments:

Lona said...

But it didn't happen, thank the Lord. For some reason, at just the right time, you noticed that gate.

I can't wait to see what comes of the aster-inspiration. Maybe you could label the yarn Aster-inspired. I like your ideas for marketing.

LostInColor said...

What a scare! I'm glad you saw the gate open.

The aster picture is beautiful, like all your pictures. And the yarn will be a wonderful blend. Where do yo sell your socks/hats/mittens that you make??? Your marketing idea is excellent, Fiber and photos!

Mary said...

Oh, Annie! My heart aches for you.

The new yarn will be gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Sorry Annie.

rilera said...

Oh Annie! I'm so glad that you caught up with your mom. What a scare. I'm hoping that the roofer left the gate open so that you can have peace of mind again.Those heart-in-throat moments are becoming more frequent for me.

I love the new dye color! It's such a rich shade. I can't wait to see how it spins up.

Renee said...

oh sweetie...i am so sorry...BIG Huge hug from me....

the yarn is beautiful

cornbread hell said...

yikes!

Cindy said...

Dearheart. I'm sorry for your scare. I'm also sorry she didn't come back when you called her. Try to step back and think about what you can do (reasonably). Of course, that's after having one helluva good cry. I have broad shoulders, so they are ready whenever you need them. And, by the by, the fiber is stunning. The colors beyond exquisite.

Anonymous said...

Annie,

www.alz.org/safereturn is a way to give you some piece of mind should your mother wander again. Basically it's a way to create a network of searchers who are always just a phone call away. They also have some quick tips for helping a person with dementia during a crisis. Two tips I found to be helpful was to repeat my statements/questions slowly using the exact wording, since people with dementia may only understand part of the questin at a time. The second was that non verbal communication is much easier, prompting with actions works well. It may well be your mother figured out how to open the gate, muscle memory for latches, switches and door handles stays for a long time. It might be time to move to a combination lock or a double latch system on the gate. I'm glad your mother is safe. My sincere sympathies on your distress. Not that it will help much but the number crunchers say that most dementia patients, wait I'll look it up, "94 percent of persons with dementia who are reported missing are found with 1.5 miles of where they disappeared and 29 percent are found within brush or briar." Gives you clues about a search radius should it happen again. My thoughts are with you.

Judy


JudyP613@yahoo.com

Turtle said...

i am so glad she was still near by. We had that happen with grandad once and it was so scary.

the photo is gorgeous and i so am curious to see the finished yarn result!

Annie said...

Lostinco, I sell the yarn, and the buyer then makes the socks/mittens/hat or whatever.