Sunday, November 9, 2008

Rant

Mom and I went to the farm store yesterday to get some supplies.

On the way there, I saw a deer in the ditch. Not an uncommon sight, unfortunately. Oh, the deer was dead. I also often see live deer in the ditch, but not this one. No, this one was decapitated.

I've said it before. I hate trophy hunting. Taking the head (presumably with antlers), and leaving the rest on the side of the road makes my blood boil. All that meat going to waste. In today's economy? What a shame. What an injustice to the spirit of that animal.

Rant over.

As I said, we went to the farm store to get supplies. It is a huge place, a store with a little bit of everything. What did Mom want? To walk. We've had nasty cold, windy, rainy/snowy weather the past couple of days so Mom hasn't been able to get out and walk for a while. Once I had everything I needed, I parked the cart in an out of the way spot, and we walked the store. She didn't stop to look at anything, just kept on walking. We had a little time to kill before my scheduled pick-up time for the groceries, so it worked out well.

Mom seemed extra confused yesterday. Within herself, almost unresponsive. I gave her a chocolate chip cookie, and she just sort of looked at it. Usually when she catches sight of a cookie, there's a big smile, an "Ooooh", and a thank you. I'll watch her closely, she might be coming down with something. At least, I hope that's all it is.

Hope you all had/are having a good weekend.

4 comments:

Lily said...

What - no venison casserole for tea?

Robin said...

I'm right there with you RANTING!!! It happens here in VA all the time. What I'd like to know is, what kind of "tall tale" the "hunter" is telling about finding, I mean shooting a "trophy buck" that had been struck by a vehicle!

Cindy said...

There is something so wrong with "trophy" hunting. As for your Mom? I hope it's just something like a mild cold. I'll keep you in my thoughts, dear.

rilera said...

Glad Mom got to have a walk about. I hope she's not coming down with something.

My blood boils too about 'trophy hunters'. They are the worst kind of people.