Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Art of Alzheimer's

How does she do it? This was sitting on the nightstand in her bedroom. I just saw the top of my blender, and thought, great, now how long am I going to be looking for the little plastic part that goes in the middle. I should have known better. When I got closer I could see the red water jug top. How does she manage to find the object that fits perfectly in the hole?

I wanted to thank everyone for your kind comments. You know, I'm not doing anything different than the legions of other caregivers out there. By comparison, I have it easy. Mom is pleasant and happy for the most part. Besides, I learned from the best.

Mom took care of my aunt (her sister-in-law) after she had a stroke. She was wheelchair bound, lived about a block away, and Mom would go down every night, around 10:30 pm, to chat and make sure my aunt was ok and got into bed ok. Every night for I don't know how many years. We would also take her for walks (me pushing her wheelchair) around town and down by the lake.

Mom also helped an elderly housebound neighbor lady for as long as I can remember. Mom did her laundry, her grocery shopping and other errands, and just visited every day. Us kids shoveled her sidewalk and mowed her lawn. She had a huge bed of Lilies of the Valley. Every year at the appropriate time, she would call me over to pick a vase for her, and a vase for me. I loved them, and we didn't have any. Win all around.

P.S. I found the little plastic part for the blender almost immediately, it was sitting on the counter next to the blender.


10 comments:

bulletholes said...

Hey Annie!
I linked my Post today to you and to Alzheimers Project. i meant to do it last week and ...well... see how I am?
I also copped one of your pictures...I hope you don't mind.

Mare said...

What a sweet post....Your Mom is such a good woman and you take right after your Mom too! :)

Marissa said...

I saw the show, and thought it was very well done! Loved to see you and your Mother. I need to have just a few ounces of your patience. Thanks for allowing that glimpse into your life,
Marissa

joyknits said...

Great examples of paying it forward!

rilera said...

Ah, your Mom is an angel just like her daughter.

Glad you found the top of the blender.

Have you ever thought of compiling all of your Art of Alz photos into a picture book??

Annie said...

Bulletholes, I see how you are. You picked one of my favorites to take. Thank you.
Marissa, see now that's funny. I never thought of myself as a patient person!
Robyn, I'm working on it, sort of. As time and my frustration level allows.

Gail Rae said...

I also learned from "the best". My mother was a superior caregiver long before I was aware of it but, by example, I learned the skills and the courage to do it for her. For this reason, and many more, I am ever grateful that she was my mom and she asked me to be her companion during the last chapters of her life.

Ann Martin said...

Hi Annie,
The post about you and your mom is up now - I hope you'll like it. I'm sure the show is doing an enormous amount of good in bringing attention to Alzheimer's.

Best wishes to you both.

http://allthingspaper-annmartin.blogspot.com/2009/05/memory-loss-tapes.html

crystoria said...

Annie,

The little pieces of art your mother creates are truly magical. It is so amazing how they hold onto some things. My grandmother has Alzheimer's and responds to music and fabrics. You are a genius for taking pictures of the presents she leaves behind, and I know you will cherish those forever! If you ever decide to publish them in a book, I will be one of the first to buy! Truly, truly amazing!

Unknown said...

I just watched the 'Memory Loss Tapes' from the Alzheimer's Project, and then with tear-stained cheeks, searched for more of your mother's art. Thank you for sharing! What amazing love and patience you have!