Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Mom Story

There was a lightning bug in my bedroom last night. At first I thought it was aliens from yesterday's sky, but then I realized it was just a lightning bug and relaxed.

Last night Mom and I were getting ready for bed. We were standing at the bathroom sink, and Mom was washing my hands. I've discovered that this is much easier than me trying to wash her hands. In the end, we both have clean hands, and I think Mom gets a sense of accomplishment out of it.

While we were standing there, Mom said "upstairs someplace". Now, it might just sound like two words to the rest of the world, but it means something a bit more in my family.

The family home is rather small. Tiny, by today's McMansion standard. The "upstairs" was one large room. It served as bedrooms for us kids, and general storage area for everybody. If you were looking for something, it was probably "upstairs someplace." This was generally said with a slight roll of the eyes and shoulder shrug, meaning, Hah, good luck finding it!

I don't know what Mom was looking for, and she might not have known either, but she damn well knew where to look for it!

6 comments:

Cindy said...

She's still in there.

rilera said...

Yup, she's still in there.

((HUGS))) to you both.

colleenmc said...

the handwashing tip I will store away, wonder what she was thinking of

cornbread hell said...

i like this post, annie.

cockeyed said...

...how lovely...

Nancy said...

I took care of my mother during her advanced stages of Alzheimer's as well. Your post today, especially the part about the hand washing, brought a tear to my eye. Thank you.