Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Checking in

Thanks to my sister, I was able to spend the weekend doing spinning demonstrations at the annual Threshing Bee my friends put on. I really needed the time off. It was wonderful, but I didn't take a single photo to share. I got a lot of spinning done, and would show you that except it is very dark and rainy here today, so no photos of that either. This will probably go down as my most boring post ever.

Mom is doing ok. She is eating and drinking, and still not in any discernible pain. The hospice nurse is coming this afternoon to discuss what hospice can do for Mom/us. I'm not sure they're really needed yet, but I guess that is what this first meeting is for.

The physical day to day part of this caregiving thing hasn't been a problem for me, it has always been the weight of responsibility that wears me down. That weight is getting even heavier in light of the decisions that will need to be made. It makes me want to run away.

8 comments:

Cindy said...

Or stomp and yell that it's not fair. I'm here and have a good ear having just gone through the whole process myself. You probably are not in need of hospice, yet, but it's best to get a contact and number for when you need it. In the state of Missouri, the attending physician is required to give approval. Ask the hospice nurse about their protocol. Might save you some problems. Also, do not hesitate to be emotional with them. This is what they do. Hugs from Middle Earth.

rilera said...

I found Hospice very helpful Annie. I finally had someone to share the responsibility with and it lifted a weight off of my shoulders. The nurse checked in with Mom at least weekly, volunteers stopped by too which was helpful. I think that like me, you will find the extra set of ears and eyes, not to mention the medical knowledge they can provide, quite helpful. They will work to keep your mom comfortable and help you to care for her in the best ways possible. Hugs to you and to your mom. She's a fighter, remember that.

Woollyminded said...

Loads of good thoughts and hugs for this difficult time.

Lily said...

'The weight of responsibility' - how true. Its the yoke we choose to settle on our shoulders and carry around with us wherever we go, the panniers full to the brim of the lives of those we love and are committed to protect. The temptation to cast it off and lose the burden can be great, but to do so would leave us floating in the void, disconnected from humanity.

Joan@CopperCreeker said...

(((Annie))) I have that feeling an awful lot, too.
It's so hard being the responsible one, the Adult, when We are the child looking for direction.
Give mom lots of (((Hugs))) and know I am sending good thoughts your way.

marylee said...

Annie, I started reading when Rachael linked us to your mom's marvelous art. I appreciate both of you so much. I saw my dad through the long process of Parkinson's and have shared some of your experiences. Remember to take as well as give care. Wtih lots of well wishes......

donna said...

"the weight of responsiblity" rings true to me also. So many decisions & uncertainity wears a person down. Take care of yourself & let hospice do whatever they can to help you and your mom. May God bless you both!

Amy in Tampa said...

Thank you for writing about your journey with your mom. It's an inspiration for me as a daughter and as a writer.