Monday, October 26, 2009

The Blues

First, thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It feels good knowing that Mom made a lasting impression via the HBO documentary. Thank you for letting me know.

I found this little block in my shoe the morning after Mom passed. It made me do that hiccuping/laughing/crying thing.

It is resting on the latest reincarnation of the Kinda Cobblestone, which isn't even kinda anymore. It is now a top down raglan. I'll see how that works out. I already don't like the wider white stripe. It accentuates my already broad shoulders. I might try to dye that stripe blue or gray, by painting the dye on as it is, and then microwaving it to set the dye. Has anybody tried that?

Yesterday I looked up from my plooming (peg loom weaving) just in time to see my biggest llama rushing the gate at the driveway, and a man backing very quickly away. I went out, it was the deer hunter that hunts the land all around mine. He was just stopping to let me know that they will be out again this year, just so I'm aware if I see them out walking. That was nice of him.

I found out that my llamas are better guards than I knew. He said that one year they cut across my upper pasture, and pretty soon the llamas came running. One guy dropped his gun and hightailed it out of there, being chased by a llama. I didn't explain that they like to run, and if they see someone running, they will join in, often jumping and bucking and twisting their necks around. I did explain that they are very curious animals, and probably just wanted to check them out. Now that I know when the hunting party will be out, I'll shut the gates to the outer pastures. I like having the animals within the barnyard when there are hunters out and about. Just in case.

8 comments:

rilera said...

Thinking of you. I love the story of finding the block in your shoe. Our moms are always with us, this I know for a fact.

I love the blue cobblestone raglan! It's beautiful!

Mama Pea said...

So good to have you back. You've been missed.

I had to smile when you talked about the wide, white stripe of your sweater accentuating what you think of as your broad shoulders.

You're not alone. I've always been self-conscious about mine. When I was in high school, one day the guy who sat behind me in geometry class said, "Gosh, if our football players all had shoulders like you, we'd win a lot more games." Gulp. You can guess that didn't do a lot for my teenage body image! Now, I'm happy to say, I'm grateful for my strong, sturdy German frame. I know I'll never be a little, frail, old lady bent over with osteoporosis! (And if I ever see that guy again, I just might deck him.)

punkin said...

It is good to hear from you.

Cyndi B. said...

Glad to hear from you again! Been thinking about you!

Robin said...

You've been on my mind a lot...keeping you close at heart.

Lily said...

If you were to spin a yarn in memory of your mum, what colours would you use?

Lynn said...

I didn't know that about llamas. Actually, I don't know much at all about them. But, it is amusing; you described it well. Photos of them carousing would be great, too! Glad you are back online!

Leslie said...

Glad to see you back and loved the story of the block in your shoe. I totally get it.

Loved the llama story too.

Lily's question was a great one. If I were to spin a yarn that reminded me of my Mum it would be platinum blond, teakwood brown, avocado green and turquoise blue.