Saturday, July 11, 2009

Free Food

I picked this small bowl (maybe 1 1/2 cups) of blackberries this morning. The berries are just starting to ripen, but there are buckets of them. The plants are wild volunteers that started growing in a small square of my property which we fenced off so the llamas couldn't get to it. (Where my electric meter is.) To actually get in there, I would need to climb over the 5 foot tall fence, or walk all the way around. I can't really do either and still be available to keep Mom safe quickly.

This bowl is what I could reach through the fence, or over top the fence. I am contemplating snipping a few wires here and there (it would be a fenestrated fence!) so more of my arm fits through. As it is, I have a hard time even getting my hand in. It is frustrating seeing all of those berries just out of reach!

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm all for a few select snips, here and there;-D

rilera said...

Yum! They look delicious. Is your Mom home from the ALF?

Anonymous said...

Hi Annie
That´s a really cool picture of the berries. Went camping up in Northern Calif one time and they grow wild there. Had Blackberries and ice cream for dinner Yum

Mama Pea said...

Mmmm, berries look deelish. You've got to find a way to avail yourself of all that glorious harvest! Whatever it takes. As you say, it's free food and full of minerals and vitamins to boot.

cornbread hell said...

YUM! if i had your near access to those berries, i can't imagine NOT cutting a gate in the fence.

i know...easy for me to say.

or how about rooting some cuttings?

R.G.Sell said...

Those berries do look yummy! I hope you find a way to get more!

Annie said...

Robyn, Mom has been home since Wednesday night.

Rick, you and your Mom need to start hitchhiking so you can help me pick!